Angell at Essex
Angell Animal Medical Center has partnered with Essex North Shore Agricultural & Technical School (Essex Tech) in Danvers, Massachusetts to create Angell at Essex, a not-for-profit veterinary clinic dedicated to providing quality veterinary care to the general public, including deeply discounted services for qualified low-income families. The clinic opened its doors in December 2019.
The Angell at Essex clinic supports the rigorous academic training program for students enrolled in Veterinary Science here at Essex Tech. This program allows students to develop their veterinary science skills in a live, ever-changing, real-world setting. As of 2023, about 160 students are a part of the Veterinary Science program at Essex Tech.
Under the supervision of credentialed staff and instructors, veterinary assisting students maintain strict disinfection protocols to support optimal patient care. This includes the setup and breakdown of exam rooms, patient kennels, and dental and surgical suites. Students develop their laboratory skills as they operate a suite of IDEXX automated analyzers and process fecal samples for the staff. Client communication is an integral aspect of instruction, as our students are responsible for greeting clients at the front desk, answering phone calls, and taking patient histories during exams. Students also play a key role in the inventory management and stocking of the clinic, ensuring staff have the necessary tools needed for a particular procedure. As students grow in their skill set, they will restrain patients, support surgical induction, and chart anesthesia. By senior year, students can independently assist the team and demonstrate close to 80 skills required of an entry-level Certified Veterinary Assistant. (CVA). Those students who have been able to participate in at least 300 hours of clinical instruction qualify to sit for the CVA credentialing exam.
Angell at Essex Services
- Primary veterinary care, including general dentistry and other basic surgeries
- Spay/neuter services
To Financially Qualify for Discounted Services
Angell at Essex welcomes all pet owners and reserves a portion of appointment times for discounted services. For those interested in discounted services at Angell at Essex, clients must financially qualify by presenting a photo ID and one of the following:
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program card
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) card (formerly known as Food Stamps/EBT)
- Massachusetts Animal Fund low cost spay/neuter certificate
- Letter/lease from the owner’s local housing authority showing that the owner is a participant in public housing
- Letter/bill demonstrating government fuel assistance
- Most recent tax return (Form 1040) showing total income at or less than 200% of the federal poverty level, adjusted for household size
In addition, regardless of financial need:
- Essex North Shore Agricultural & Technical School employees receive a 20% discount on services
- Active duty military personnel and veterans receive a 15% discount on services
The person whose name is on the card or documents must be present (i.e., they can’t send a relative or friend). The only exception is a spouse with the same last name and address.
For more information on low income medical services, please call 978-304-4648.
The clinic is open weekdays from 7:45am-4:00pm throughout the year. The clinic does not provide overnight care, specialty service care, nor 24/7 emergency service as Angell’s Boston and Waltham facilities do, but will refer cases as appropriate to surrounding specialty veterinary referral hospitals.
To book an appointment, please call 978-304-4648.