Essex North Shore Agricultural and Technical School is working to rebuild the Catherine Larkin Memorial Practice Cottage. Second only to Smith Hall, Larkin Cottage is the oldest building still standing on the South Campus. Built in 1950, Larkin Cottage was used for many years as a practice cottage for the Essex Agricultural Homemaking School.
The new Larkin Cottage will serve as a multi-use facility, including a historical museum, service kitchen, office space, an exhibit hall, a learning lab and function space. This new building will hold up to 150 guests for meetings and events.
Funds to finance the Larkin Cottage rebuild will be supplied by grants as well as private and corporate sponsors. Your generous gift will allow Essex North Shore Agricultural and Technical School to help finance the rebuild and give a new life to Larkin Cottage.
2020 Virtual Gala
The Gala is a fundraiser to support a rebuild of the Catherine Larkin Memorial Practice Cottage on the Essex North Shore Agricultural & Technical School campus. Students are involved in every aspect of the design and build process. The newly renovated cottage will include an agricultural library/museum, learning center, and community function space.
As we continue the process of rebuilding the Catherine Larkin Memorial Cottage on the South Campus of Essex North Shore Agricultural and Technical School, we continue to honor her memory with the Annual Larkin Gala! This year’s Gala will be held virtually. Please join us from the comfort of your own home on Friday, December 18th at 6:00 pm. Tickets and meal options are now available for purchase.
At the event, we will present the annual Larkin Lifetime Achievement Award to a member of our community who has demonstrated commitment and has had great success within our local vocational and/or agricultural industries. Senator Joan Lovely will be our keynote speaker. In addition, we will highlight student work and talent.
Our online auction is now live through Friday, December 18th! All funds raised through the auction will benefit the rebuilding of the Catherine Larkin Memorial Cottage. Auction items include wonderful pieces made by our students in their Career Technical Programs and donations from our staff and community partners.
Larkin Cottage Project Outline
Purpose of the expansion of the Larkin Cottage:
- Learning space for Essex North Shore Agricultural and Technical School students
- To be built by students
- Agricultural museum to showcase key artifacts from agricultural education on the North Shore and events
sponsored by the alumni association
- Community meeting space to hold events evenings and weekends
- Expanded use of North and South Campus for student learning
Thoughts for the Larkin Cottage (2-year timeframe):
- School Committee was made aware of basic thoughts to determine the best use for Larkin Cottage
- School Committee would approve the moving forward of this project when conceptual drawings are complete and rough estimate costs are determined
- Conceptual drawings to determine estimated construction costs
- Students would use this as their “house building” project
- Expand the existing footprint to include a large open area with a stone fireplace
- Build wrap around porch with entrance points at various locations
- Full kitchen to cook, heat, and serve food
- Two office areas with availability to increase office space based on demand
- ADA compliance, no elevator needed as it is ground level
- Vaulted ceilings
- Gardens to be planted including a pathway to Smith Hall
- An outdoor area which would allow for outdoor events
- Operational budget for building materials and construction costs
- Fundraising campaign
- Engraved brick selling
- Donations of goods and services from outside sources