To the ENSATS Learning Community,
Summer is almost here and summer reading is the expectation for all Essex North Shore Agricultural and Technical School students including incoming freshmen. New this year, all students are required to read at least two books.
BOOK #1: As we’ve done in the past, the first book is an open-choice book and can be fiction or nonfiction, but must be written for young adults or adults.
BOOK #2: The second book is a whole-school summer read titled Line Change: A True Story of Resilience by Todd Civin and Matt Brown.
When students return to school, each English teacher will assign a Summer Reading Project for BOTH the open-choice book and for Line Change: A True Story of Resilience. Past assignments have included book talks, Goodreads book reviews, and creative projects based on the books such as movie trailers, children’s book adaptations, sculptures, music playlists, and more. In addition, for Line Change: A Story of True Resilience, the plan is to have a featured speaker come and talk to students and staff about the topic.
Please note that students entering A.P. English Language and Composition or A.P. English Literature and Composition courses have a separate summer reading assignment. Students who are enrolled in these courses will be given the assignment before the end of the school year by their teacher and must participate in the whole-school read as well.
For all students with Google school logins and passwords (this excludes incoming Freshmen), please consider choosing a book from the EBSCO eBook Collection located on our library website library.essextech.net. Here you can download a “great read” to any device. For students with access to Learning Ally, you can download an audiobook including the whole-school read Line Change: A True Story of Resilience. (For more information regarding eligibility for Learning Ally, please contact Erinn Gilmore at [email protected]).
Our goal for summer reading is to keep students reading throughout the summer and to unite our school community around a book about qualities or strengths that we think are important to talk about when students return in August.
Thank you and read on!
Summer Reading Team
How to Access Line Change: A True Story of Resilience
Dear ENSATS Community,
As stated in a previous letter, ENSATS will be having a whole-school summer read titled Line Change: A True Story of Resilience by Matt Brown and Todd Civin.
Listed below are options on how to purchase/access a copy.
- Coupon code is ENSATS and earns students 30% off the book.
- With shipping, the cost of the book will be $20.70
- The hardcover book will be shipped to your home.
- Access the Kindle version from Amazon for $9.99. If you do not have a Kindle, just download the free Kindle App to your device.
- Buy a hardcover copy online from Amazon. The price of the book is about $16.00 – that is without tax and shipping. However, if you are an Amazon Prime Member the total cost of the book is about $17.00 (Amazon prime members do not pay for shipping).
- Students with access to Learning Ally, you may download the audiobook version from the Learning Ally site. If you need assistance, email Mrs. Gilmore at [email protected].